Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Relations of the Heart


My two worlds collide this morning and leave me reeling....my preoccupations of the past week seem silly in the face of the horrors the night unleashed...I dont know whether my tears flow at the loss of a dream, of introducing a new soul that is to arrive to the haunts that brought its mother so much happiness, gave her a feeling of independence, confidence that she could conquer all...memories of lazy afternoons...of the freedom of walking on my own on balmy, spring evenings...of a little oasis of calm in the craziness of the city (and my arrogance of wishing that all of Mumbai could be restricted to a saner South and to never visit the craziness of the suburbs)...of the Amar Akbar Anthony sites of my life where I prayed for it...this is where your story started little one.

Or for the kindness of strangers...of acceptance from spaces where one had never imagined such compassion...of dreams woven from a balcony looking out at the Taj, promises made to myself...its early hours yet for a cold anger to set in...not when you are still praying that all who have touched your life, fed you, housed you are safe tonight. And for a day when we can dream again.

12 comments:

  1. Yes I too feel the same...so very sad to see my beloved Mumbai people suffer this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweetheart...dont cry...this will soon be over and we the Indians will come together to repair all ills soon. The little one will only know hapiness....god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're all praying. i hope it gets better from here onwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving entry. This is all very sad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a very painful 24 hours....I only hope this ends soon. More importantly, I hope we learn from this carnage and work towards a safer tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all of you for your compassion and goodwill...Pinku: I know you all will recover and go on, but it becomes increasingly difficult for Pakistanis like me who have lived and loved Mumbai to find acceptance in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made my way here from Khizzy's blog and I laud you for the very well written piece in The Dawn's opinion column. We all suffer in this angst and several individuals fear a retaliatory anti-Muslim reaction. One hopes sense will prevail and the need for unison as opposed to further alienation comes through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the kind words Divya...and well when it comes to better sense prevailing in our part of the world "umeed par duniya qayem hai", eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "umeed pay duniya qayeim hai"
    amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You echo the feelings of so many people. The attacks may or may not have caused terror in the hearts of Indians, but they sure have caused us immeasurable sadness.

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.