Thursday, January 29, 2009

Friday Night Fever

Fever is putting it mildly...the city is burning up and how...its Day 4 of a unprecedented heatwave in Melbourne....43 degrees and mercury rising...hopefully by Sunday it will be a relatively saner 35...I dont think it comes soon enough for the poor players slogging at the Aus Open (they say temp on court are 55 degrees Celsius and more with the administration ignoring pleas until Wild Wednesday to close the roof and offer some relief to match fans and the courageous players alike).
As the rest of the city sweltered I received news this Tuesday that had me forgetting Melbourne’s weather woes for a while...an irritating skin condition that everyone had brushed away as a pregnancy rash was diagnosed as problematic liver function...the obstetrician , God bless her, rushed me for a foetal trace, and started running blood work...she ‘mentally’ prepared me to ready for a C-section before the weekend was through...and ordered me home. Of course this was ‘consumed’ by me as ‘go back to work’ and started delegating deadlines and checking on what could be left until Feb end, till one of the Research Officers gently guided me to acknowledge that I should be on my way home. The blood tests continued until Thursday morning it was confirmed that I should be ready for Saturday morning as I would have started Week 37...the OB did say I could finish my shopping list (I had delegated most of it to my mom who was arriving in time for the Feb 14th deadline)..so it has been two days of finalizing cord blood banking and the hospital bag and calling Mimi about appropriate laundry aids and baby related stuff.
Its surreal...it was only last weekend when I started getting a grasp of the language of my body and the baby...Mimi had guided me towards recognizing what was an elbow, a turn...blindly I would trace its road map across myself...and now to ready myself for a new journey.
And all this while my liver kept on pumping bile and my skin continued to protest as we feared what it was doing to the baby...and sadly the first letter of caution to the soul to come was ‘what nourishes you can also kill you’. But then I made a list of other no-nos during the pregnancy and how the baby touch wood survived it: the first month I had binged on sushi and sashimi, it was later I read up on the joys of Listeriosis and thanked the Good Lord for not being exposed to it...exposed the baby to ‘depressing energy and hormones’ all of the second trimester as I cried over the carnage in Wah, Islamabad and later Mumbai...and the baby survived Pesho’s attempt of an emergency C-section as she jumped on my tummy one evening when she saw something move (the baby decided to keep its ‘ten movements of the day’ to a time when no one was awake after that)
On a lighter note: my boss called yesterday afternoon and commented on how mine must have been the shortest maternity leave before bub (three days), my mother thinks what is happening is courtesy my life long habit of fast fwding and rewinding movies, Congrats Aneela, you have fast forwarded your pregnancy... Gman took the news by joking Sharab peeney say liver kharab hota hai Deeno Ram but quickly realised I was not amused. (Note to doubters out there: no I didn’t turn a Devdas at any stage, these things HAPPEN and no one knows why confirmed the OB...I did ask her to put it in writing for my mom, yes, my first thought was How am I going to explain to my mom that I didn’t have any peeyakar/alcoholic tendencies that led me to this!!)
So we are all set...I know it sounds like a cliché but my mind is blank and I just cant think beyond the moment...at this stage we just want the baby out, for him to be healthy and good humoured and hopefully drinking bile straight hasn’t ruined his constitution.
Prayers everyone?

22 comments:

  1. ok so that answers my question of,
    "where have you been???"

    hope all goes well babe!!!
    Inshallah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you. Sending you postive thoughts.
    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of prayers your way...not long to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow.. all the best, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, my first on this blog. Be brave, you n the lil one will be alright

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Hugs, Hugs, Hugs*
    Please take good care of yourself and show the baby pics as soon as you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the very best, Mommy and Baby. Big hugs and loads of prayers up for you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. Love you, J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AND IT'S A BOY !!!!! YIPPPPPPPPPPPPEEE ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. COngrats Aneela...smiles!:) have been a silent witness to lovely words...and heres a warm warm welcome to ARB!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's here!!!!Congratulationsssssssssss Aneela and gman!!Welcome Baby Boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to the couple who are now a family:)
    All the very best to you, Aneela. Recover well, look after yourself as much as you can. Love, blessings and a gentle kiss to the new arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey aneela! congrats on the arrival of your little one. may he bring much joy into yout lives. rest up and recover soon so you can enjoy your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations. :) Heard the news from a common friend. You don't know me but I've seen you around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. uff shukar Alhamdulillah :)
    you know i had been thinking of you and the baby all of yesterday..
    Welcome aboard little guy :D truckload of hugs to mommy :)
    take care and God bless!
    pss.. the offer is still on ;) send pics as soon as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, mon ami! See you back on this blog soon and the metallica tickets are on their way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to the new mommy... Hope you and the baby are doing fine! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello! congratulations!!!

    Please do a post asap...

    dying to meet the baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey congratulations! I hope you're all doing great... Do post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations !!!
    Hope mommy and baby are doing great !

    ReplyDelete
  21. mubarak...mubarak.......lots of duas coming your way! Love to the little bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.