Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Jag Main Rah Jayenge Pyarey Terey Bol...

Even though the following is part of a contest entry (thankyou thankyou Parul for forwarding me the tag!!) I do not think its a break in continuity from my earlier "write some honest stuff about yourself" post (shameless attempt to justify not writing part 2 just yet). As loyal readers of this blog might have discovered over the past year , EVERYTHING I have learnt in life is courtesy Bollywood, for the uninitiated I recycle a confession made earlier:

>>The only reason I finished the Phd was to prove to mom and disapproving relatives that a lifetime >>of watching Bollywood and TV does AMOUNT to something (Ive sneaked that somewhere in the acknowledgments )....my proudest moment: when an aunt finally sidled up and asked me "how did I do it"...you know "the academic achievements" so far..to which I smugly said Oh EVERYTHING I have learnt in life was courtesy Bollywood, only topped by said aunt lining up her grand children in front of the tele "now go memorize John Abraham's filmography".* I am the one who googles for every little bit of film trivia...when Goldie Behl inferred that Karisma and Kareena were his cousins at the Drona premiere...that was me googling for the precise connection. I also have a "standing" agreement with my sister that we can wake each other up at ANY time of the night for the niggling questions of (film related) life (Neeley Neeley Amber Par is the soundtrack to ?, who went "Pallo" in a movie and ruined three years of a good crush, which one was Anita Raj and which one Amrita Singh)...you know the drill...what is remarkable about the "pact" is that it has survived the "great sister wars" as well...yup three weeks of ignoring each other and you can call up at 2am and get an answer to the Baazigar catchphrase.* When someone asks me whether I want a boy or a girl...or whether I want my 'prospective children' to think of themselves as South Asians first or Aussies, all I have to say is "I wish they are healthy and really LOVE Bollywood...and yes good-mannered". They can streak their hair blonde, tattoo themselves silly and support the Aus cricket team but I will be heart broken if they shrug their shoulders and say "we really dont know what the big deal about SRK is"..


Now coming to the Great Bong 10 Dialogue Kitab Win (or Dus Bahane Kar Ke Leygaye Dil Sorry Book) contest...

The rules as stipulated by Mr Ray.

1. On your blog, provide a link to this page. (http://greatbong.net/book). Embedding the above picture in your blog would be nice but not needed.

2. Then write down your top 10 Hindi movie lines or top 10 English movie lines (You can do both if you want. Only one set is required for the contest). If you cannot think of top 10, make it top 5. Cannot think of even 5? Make it top 3. No problem. Only restriction: no two lines from same movie. This done to make it fair for other movies so that they dont get swamped by Gunda or Loha or Sholay.

3. Tag five friends to do the same.

4. Come over to the comment-space of this post and post your blog’s link so I can go and read it.

Remember: Before starting the tag, paste points 1 and 4 on your blog so that the rules are available to anyone who wishes to pick the tag up from your blog.




To list my top ten Hindi dialogues which will stay with us long after we are gone (read post title again!!)



1) Long before I read up on Foucault's "nurture/nature" question I had been introduced to the debate courtesy Awaara (1951): "sharifo ki aulad hamesha sharif hotee hai aur chor daakuo ki aulad hamesha chor daaku"". Or is it?

2) On not succumbing to the "disease to please" courtesy Har Dil Jo Piyar Kareyga (2000): "Zindagee may jitna bhee karo saala kum parh ji jaata hai"

3) The hypocricy of moral policing, on shifting the gaze courtesy Rocky (1981) "Gandagee na naach may hain, na naachney waley may. Gandagee naach dekhney waaley may hai". Nazar ka purdah, eh

4) On letting a good thing be courtesy Dil Chahta Hai (2001) Waise bhi perfection ko improve karna bahut mushkil hai

5) On the perils of being overheard, for life can turn out quite messy on an airport runway one night. Would Shakti (1982) have ended differently if Vijay had not overheard Ashwini "Maar dalo usse, kar dalo uska khun' " Kumar over the phone with K.D. Narang?

6) On Friendship, through thick and thin "Dosti ki hai nibhanee tau hogee" Maine Piyar Kiya (1989)

7) On finding my USP "Mein woh bala hu jo shishe se pathar todta hoon" Souten (1983)

8) And once I have found my USP, to protect it at all costs, Pakeezah (1972) Aapke paon dekhe, bahut haseen hai. Inhe zameen par mat utariyega, maile ho jayenge

9) On taking the road less taken , Baazigar (1993) Kabhi kabhi jeetney ke liye, kuch harna bhi parta hain. Aur haarkar jeetney wale ko,baazigar kehte hain

10) And for all the izhar bhee mushqil please read between the lines moments we had Qayamat Sey Qayamat Tak (1988) "Dettol wali koee chot nahee"


The Great Bong has restricted entries to 10 Hindi and/or English dialogues so I cannot enter one of my fav dialogue from the Pakistani movie Madam Bavary. Chalo kabhi kabhar film festival may 'not in running for contest' entry bhee hotee hai.
*****For honour among thieves "Hum Kanjar Hain Beyghairat Nahee" Madam Bavary (1988)***

I tag

1) Kiran
2) Xeb
3)Maid In Malaysia
4)Jammie
5)Parul (Im sure she is working on her entry as I write)

12 comments:

  1. aneelaaaa ok so i cannot even begin to so that because the only dialgue that comes to mind is lamhe ka dont hit the retarded child wala. Seriously. thats it. I am not a dialogues person. ask me about feelings instead :D which scenes what feelings type -

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I ran thru your post, I am SWAMPED at work (this was my five min clearing my mind break activity hehe) but I cannot resist writing my favorite ones...

    Kitney aadmi they - Sholey
    Dosti mein No sorry No thank you :)) I SO want to use this in real life one day with a guy I will flirt with - sigh...
    Badey badey sheharon mein aisi chhoti chhoti baatein hoti reheti hain - DDLJ
    Mein to kahoonga aap purush hi nahin ho....pause, mahapurush ho.. some movie god knows
    Sigh........enough for now?? Aal izz well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I just realised you havent really asked me hehee...but as a fellow Bollywood fan, you cant turn me down ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia...It'd from Andaaz Apna Apna.

    Aneela....I thought it would be a breeze for me but turns out, it's way tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh!! This tag is after my own heart as well.. but for the life of me, I can't remember much except "Vijayyyy!" said by a rather dishevelled Nirupama Roy, quivering lips, outstretched arm and all (all movies, 1970's). It's a case of data overload.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL

    I'm wondering how many lines from Maine Pyar Kiya will pop up online as a direct result of this competition. Arnab has much to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved the post, and your list.

    and yes, hope my child grows up healthy, loving bollywood, and is mostly polite. and may she quote from hindi films liberally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could recognize 8 and 9 but apart from that, I guess I'm totally kala akshar bhais barabar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, there's something for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara: phir thoda emosional atyachar hojayee
    Sonia: the more the merrier...glad you have come over to the dark side.
    Parul: hut jhooti
    soul of alec smart: yes nirupuma does that us doesnt she
    sue: mnpk and sholey...salim-javed will be hiccuping all of Feb
    surnotes: and to this i will take a maulvi burp and say Aameen Sum Aameen
    Diwakar Sinha: Phir thoda Homework hojaaye...run run to the DVD store
    d: thankeee..will comply.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oi...the Hum kanjar hai line is from Haseena 420 with Neeli and Arifa Siddiqui....not sure about the year though.....
    Ayesha

    ReplyDelete
  12. no behen the line is from the first ten minutes when the K union conducts its strike in front of the police station, you are confusing it from the "BA Third Div, larko ko cheda" line from Haseena "300 Costume changes" 420 that we loved as well.

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.