Thursday, February 03, 2011

Yeh Hai Meri Kahani....


So I am more or less settled in the new place. More on that later.

For some time I was thinking aloud about a fresh blog name for golkamra. As in doing away with the Life Or Something Like That.

For those who have been visiting golkamra since the very beginning this blog went with the moniker Living Room, that was my "shoes off" stage with restricted comments. The blog was  (and here I am cut pasting what I wrote a while ago ) started
with the intention of having a 'forum' where I could moderate an exchange on public memory of non-violence in South Asia, the lived history of the Khudai Khitmatgar, it was a work thing....eventually it petered off to become a scrap book project at best. Enter Arhaan. Now I am as you all know an ardent devotee of all things Bolly, and my social training declared that I have the mandatory eight letters for eight years ala Rani in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (if I am to kick the bucket during the 'creation' process).. so I thought I should have a forum where the kid in question would know my 'stories' as in what makes Aneela tick..and perhaps since then this blog has more or less steered cleared of the 'larger questions of life'.. I did not want the kid to be struggling about the 'every day questions' about me. For I have when it comes to my father.

And at some stage I just clicked on the header and changed the title to My Life or Something Like That (later edited to Life Or...)


For a while now I toyed with Baithak, but there is already something called Open Baithak out there in the public domain. I did think of Qissa Khwani (the Story Teller Bazaar in Peshawar) which happens to be a beautiful nexus of all that I love (the bazaar is linked with Muhammad Wazir Khan who sang the popular De de Khuda ke naam pe in India’s very first talkie, Alam Ara, and of course the lives and loves of Shahrukh Khan, Dilip Kumar and the Kapoor Khandan! And lest we forget it is an important signpost in the history of the Khudai Khitmatgar) but that place is frequently bombed and I didnt want to think of my blog being attacked all the time !! I also thought of Shney Chai as in Green Tea...something along the lines of In the End We Will Have Green Tea in tribute to our love for the beverage. I remember interviewing Afghan refugees in Islamabad and they had brought out mugs of green tea with enough sugar to set my teeth on edge (and where the teaspoon can actually stand up in the bed of sugar). Even now there is no evil (culinary or what this mad world throws at me) that cant be "digested" by a nice cup of green tea.

While I was still deliberating I read an issue of Five Dials. And I came across these lines.

‘I fall into a place and I become of that place,’ replied Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak when asked, during a public conversation in Calcutta, whether she would describe herself as cosmopolitan. ‘I feel sometimes, when someone asks me the question, that I have roots in air. You know? I am at home everywhere and I am not at home anywhere. It seems to me when one is at home, the place where one is at home has no name.

It has been adapted from Dayanita Singh, a survey co-published by Penguin India and FundaciĆ³n Mapfre. Read more at


And well as anyone who knows me and mine, can recognize that The Shoe Fits.
So Roots in Air it is.
So just a heads up for those who access this blog 'googling' for golkamra. Or those who have Life Or Something Like That in their blog roll, reader, following list et al.
However for those who land on this blog searching for (True Story!) Ansar Abbasi Says Mastrubation Causes Blindness. theek hai bhai.
P.S: And I had just changed the header pic and was playing around with the template and voila there were birds in the background that fitted in so perfectly, kamaal hai so lets save the changes I say.

8 comments:

  1. Much as I loved the proposed Baithak, this really seems to fit! So, looking forward to a great deal of wonderful reading in Roots in Air- go for it, Aneela:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roots in Air - lovely. Though i absolutely loved Qissa Khwani.

    And your original idea ' the public memory of non-violence in south asia' -restart it please. Even if its like a scrap book with fragments from here and there.

    And dont spend too much time gazing from your window into the school compound! We are watching you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I like the name :) Have been following your blog for a while now..just didnt comment I guess :) BTW I think you and bitsofchocolate are one of the best commenters on the blogs I follow..every comment of yours usually has me cracking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm! Nice name. It does fit. Here's to more writing from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aneela

    Like... no make it...love...:) roots in the air..makes one sit up and think about it..

    Looking forward to reading more from you.

    Warm regards

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  6. agree with Sur Notes above on restarting the original idea .. 'Roots in the Air" is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankoo thankoo for all the love! Taking a break for a while. Banno, your post did that to me. Hopefully normal transmission will resume soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why will no one take Baithak? :(

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.