This post has been inspired by a series of tweets on "Good Muslims" I initiated a while ago in response to something the International Man of Mystery @polgrim had tweeted. He was of course discussing something entirely different and tre tre serious. I cannot remember how I jumped in with my "Good Muslim". Anyways as Sur Notes has reminded me, it has been a while since I posted. And lest people thing this is only a travel blog , I should get on with the work of educating the Toddler about my world. So here are some of my tweets in dot points (lest Twitter Deck loses all of them). Now bear in mind the Good Muslim is a mythical creature that supposedly lived in celluloid once upon a time but in recent times let us say "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life".
Good Muslims like Good Fences make for very good friends and neighbours. Bear in mind, you have to have this amount of hennaed hair before you can sing any yaarana songs with the Other. I will not get into the semantics of Hum Saath Saath Hain and the recreation of Ramayana and what that means for the Good Muslim as the Good Friend.. Ram's loyal friend and sevak? Geddit? Good. Hanuman's Bajrang Dal fanboys dont, so let us keep quiet about it.
Ok so the mythical
- "Good Muslims" should be ready to die an hour into movie.Preferably fighting Pakistanis.Should also know poetry and love biryani
- Good Muslims say Laley Ki Jan and have their whiskey neat, their best friend is a Colonel. Rishi Kapoor's the 'goodest' of em all.
- Good Muslims make sure there is azaan in the background when they enter the frame. Elope. Take a bullet for friend and country. Azaan tape not playing today .OK I die another day
- The Good Muslim Tawaif. We will dance at lover's wedding, children's naamkaran, dance offs. We have no branches
- Good Muslim women wear ghararas to bed,are borderline asthmatic & suffer unrequited love.They never forget feed the pigeon.
- The last time a "Good Muslim" woman participated in Maa Exchange was Coolie
- Rooh Afza. Official drink of "Good Muslims" since 1906
- Good Muslims name their children Kabir and Kamal
- Last night when Pakistan played Australia.Good Muslims in India were damned no matter which team they supported Pakistan? Desh Drohi. Australia? India Basher
- By now Good Muslims should have perfected an answer to the query " You dont know the M's, but they are you know Muslim?"