Saturday, April 09, 2011

ye tera ghar ye mera ghar or Ek tha Gul Aur ek thi Bulbul

For my state of mind this month, perhaps you should pop in for a moment. You enter our house to the "containment area", this is where the boys two are encouraged to sit down and take off their shoes, perhaps if we were living in times of "goods and services people apartheid" the drivers or gun men would sit there twiddling their thumbs (remember gun man? and the times of yore when it was such a comforting notion? making some of us sleep better at night, rather than.. well you know how it is!)



As you notice, considering I cant beat the office issue cane and red cushions I am joining them with all the red I could salvage from the Melbourne garage. The containment area also serves well for the Toddler to exercise all his curiosity and innate "Gotta see how it works" to a silly chandelier tea-light holder

Clearly I was not joking about the red in mein haus. The chik/blinds waley baba was requested to weave in a bit of red


 The resident bhabhi ji who has been given the brief to have thoda bahut interior decoration ka shauq, (operational hazard for where I am in my life)  has been concentrating on creating Rooms with A View (To Read).

Yup, there is a lot of reading going on in our house.


When we are not reading we are out confusing the kid that it is still 1930s out there. 

What do you mean press 2 to go back to menu?


This is where I will hide all the remotes so the Toddler never finds out it is 2011
(though it was a bit spooky to watch The King's Speech last month and notice that over the years I have unconsciously channeled the regal blue and gold in the homes i have lived in. Colonial hangover and fixation with King George V anyone?)




The Toddler was really thrilled that his new Itunes does go with him everywhere
For the past two months it has been ek tha gul aur ek thi bulbul every freakin' afternoon until Im ready to dig into the cartons and take out all the confiscated Bubbles (The Monkey who should Not Be Named).
 Why Mohammad Rafi why?
 Leading me to believe that the first salvo in the vales of Kashmir might have been fired by an irate mom listening to the record for the 5 millionth time.



It has not been all House Beautiful the past couple of days though. Often when people who have grown up quoting Ferris Bueller start living with people who have no idea (and were made to watch it one weekend so they could understand  what their partner was saying. Perhaps partaking in some light popular culture banter so for one week we could be an episode in a popular American sitcom) we have as I was just telling Houston last week A Problem. We are trying to get there, but it is not easy. One of us in a convoluted chain of events is blaming FERIA , growing up in a small town and the whole 1970-80s ban on foreign goods So yes small town India got the Gods (and a lot of heavy metal) but anything starring Mathew Broderick, Molly Ringwald or John Hughes listed in the credits, binnnnggg Ghalat Jawab. a Anything to drive home the point that he needs end notes every time I am through cracking a joke or moaning my cause. 


Being responsible for a Toddler is making the process of finding a frame of mind to participate in friendly banter a fair bit impossible ( considering we follow what some people might call  Risk Aversion Behaviour , frankly we just see it as a complicated route to avoid being the one changing his pamper). The trick of getting out of Pamper Duty is to never mention the word  Arhaan and poop in the same sentence, you name one and the other person can scream Go Check His Pamper, leading to the You found it So you clean it scenario. Which leads to pretty interesting conversations like:
Person A who has watched Ferris Bueller 300,00 times: Do you think someone might have pooped?
Person B who watched it the one time and remembers it as the guy who married Sarah Jessica Parker: It could be that a person might have farted.

It is also difficult to stomp off and have a good cry about the world and feel better in ten minutes as the Toddler follows you with tissues and whispers Why Mama Cry? Yes how horrible would you be to continue being terrible tantrummy after that question hmm. The Toddler continues with his hunger strike which began when he turned two  (though I have told him that Anna Hazare did have some juice this morning). There is a lot of attitude from him lately, and so The Man is stepping in some more and I wave to them from my desk.

So well that is all from me for this month. We return from our travels some time in May,  HongKong, Thailand, Malaysia please wave and say hello if you see us. I will fingers crossed get to see my sister for a week in Bangkok as she is conferencing in town. She being the One Who Has a Job and Gets to Stay in Fancy Places and me who is the full time Plus one for the Toddler.

 I am hoping I have a half decent camera some time soon so I can take pics of the house. I am all done prettying up our place and am dying to share the results. The Man did ask me what I would do if we have to pack up and leave this place in a  month or so. I did want to get back at him for being such a buzz kill. But being the cool person I am decided to  warble Any place I Hang My Hat Is Home.

Or as I will have you know "home  for me is wherever teddy and the boys two can put  their head down" 

9 comments:

  1. Have a nice trip Aneela

    Warm regards

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankyou anu this is mighty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, ab tau "Dhaka Chalo!" nadha zor se dohoraanaa padhegaa! Such a warm, inviting home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this... Ela (!) and I cannot believe you made us wait this long to see the pics.

    have a good, safe trip. Try not to do the things I wouldnt (trust me, that would still leave you with a lot of illegal stuff to do ;)never mind my boring image )

    huggies to the little intrepid traveller... idhar bhi darshan de jao...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello my darling. happy travelling.

    And i'll have you know, I love the way the post ended.

    And i'll also have you know, I might be in Dhaka soon. For work, but that's not important. Be prepared to feed me. Thanks in advance.

    I know. I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When will you be staying in Dhaka long enough for me to plan a trip there???????????
    Love the house, and the pics, and the captions:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a tangent, all that red reminded me of the scene we are currently rehearsing where my grandmother tells me that she never got to choose the colours in her home, all those pale 'artistic' colours we all admired, and now that she's a widow she will fill her house with strong reds.

    Vicky and I never get each other's references but we always knew we never would, so it's cool. To be fair, no one person gets all my references so they remain my private jokes for the most part.;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Just dropping in. Have a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the images of your home.. Simply gorgeous!! Hope you have a lovely trip!!

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.