Monday, May 16, 2011

tum ne kiya kiya kiya hai hamare liye, hum na kar paye kuch bhi tumhare liye

A month of travel, three and a half cities (the half are spaces aspiring to be cities),  many, many fine people along the way, food, good food. So much material, now how to unpack all this? Themes perhaps? Standpoints, if you get my point?


So today I begin with tipping my hat err dupatta umm jo bhi to the lovely ladies. 

The sister who juggled dates and commitments and quite likely resorted to putting a DVD on telling her kids to continue watching it until she returned from her trip, it was this impossible to work out our meet. She came, she wowed The Toddler, and impressed me with how she is managing this phase of her life.The Working (Out of the House), Some Travel Involved Mom. For some time my sister and me have been playing a *Tag! you are it* with  life, work, relationship, responsibilities, family, she tires of one with my picking that particular ball of wool up, and from the skeins of my abandoned causes she will knit herself a bright new day. But. She does it so much better than me. So I continue to be impressed by this young woman. Arhaan was stunned by all the glamour, good livin' and shopping malls she brought to his day, and well  life seems less colorful and his clothes less well-coordinated  he says.

And  the lovely Maid in Malaysia. (where the maid is less bai and more Marian--you know the version where she is fun-lovin, wields a mighty fine sword and keeps an eye on the band of merry men).
OK  first impressions, all ye who are curious about our blog meet. Consider a producer who knocks on the door thinking he will sign up Rani for his magnus opus, and ta da the door opens to Tabu. MiM is tall, and way way more talented. (Jab ke my earlier impression of  the also-not bad for the role chirpy chulbuli Rani was also complimentary. But Tabu! yeah! Tabu.) 
MiM had to field many a  "but you write like a short person" from me
and finally concluded sagely with a "perhaps I am surrounded by very short people".
I repeat.
She is tall.
And very very talented.
I will now go and google whether people though e e cummings was short.

Her boys two were gracious and sweet and lovin and keeping true to the theme of "no truth in advertising",  baby param did NOT eat arhaan up, in fact he was very gentle and asked my little boy whether he needed a hand with his bags (Arhaan not only got a VERY impressive goody bag but he also got to "borrow" books from their bookshelf).

And for all who made the sita gita reference, the only fans in the room that day were Arhaan and Baby Param. Major Yeh Dosti Hum Nahi Todegey moment. Totally channeling Jai and Veeru on baby param's tricycle.

MiM found my joke about the Chetan Bhagat of toys very funny (you know 100 rupees waley, available everywhere, no intellectual content what so ever) so I am her fan for life.

I realized that with all the "new technologies", and the "new people" and ideas that they bring to your life, we still do move around in the same circles in a six degrees of separation kind of world. It has been happening to me for a while, but this time around I thought I was meeting a blogger (who has been blogging anonymously from Kuala Lumpur) and who grew up in a town far, far away from Pindi and half an hour into our conversation we discover that we happen to have Real Life (and not just Reel Life) people in common from our "other lives". Also in our own ways we are avatars of all the other good friends for each. So over the years there has always been a MiM in my life (albeit as different people) wherever life took me and MiM told me about her other aneela. For all these reasons and more we talked, and talked and talked some more until the cows came home. and the cabs threatened not to *gulp!*

Oh and the thoughtfulness! the love MiM put in her goody bag for Arhaan and me. Comfort food. Pretty things, Something to Read, Something to Wear.Clearly this was a woman who had gone around and done her homework  and put together a real bundle of love. And what Arhaan didnt "borrow" she pulled out from her shelf and put  in our bags.
In return I gave her
Hair Oil (I thought it was hilarious when I first bought it. You know her never ending search for The Hair Oil)
and What I thought Were Wooden Blocks but was a 300000 piece jigsaw. 
Just call me Evil Aunt Kaushalya now and get it over with, Sur.

I returned to Dhaka to a visit from a much missed nephew and his parents. My sister in law was here, so  for a week I could go around with a permanent "What Me Worry about House guests" smile on my face, I wonder whether Mimi knew her Dhaka escape was more of a "working holiday" as she cooked and cleaned and entertained Arhaan. The Toddler will miss his Kiron Kher and Boro Ma. 

And I will miss all my partners in crime.
Now please dont ask me "so what have you done for me lately".







7 comments:

  1. Well i already labelled you the mausiji who drove poor veeru up the tank after MiM wrote about your jai and veeru pairing of the boys.

    And you will be happy to know that I write like a short person and am shorter in real life. sigh. now you will think as highly of me.

    I loved your recounting of the meeting. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the Chetan Bhagat of toys is brilliant! They are cheap, noisy and can get spooky when they are set off at odd hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really took the hair oil? Which brand?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does this hair oil promise to do?
    Loved your account of the famous meeting too:)
    I still wish I'd been a fly on the wall, or the fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what have you done for me lately?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL You know who else is surprisingly tall? Yashodhara's Vijay, that's who, him of the lashtic ka pajama act.

    So nice to hear of your blog meet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Also in our own ways we are avatars of all the other good friends for each. So over the years there has always been a MiM in my life (albeit as different people) wherever life took me and MiM told me about her other aneela. "

    loved this

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.