Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye Tau Kiya Hai



The things we talk about when we are not toilet training: Funny how a singing duck in a bath tub can lead to a heated debate about color (perhaps race too, but I dont want to go down that road this early in the day) , whether fame means never holding a shade card next to your face, and why a man in a silk dressing gown can have people tied up in knots. ( Men other than Raj "Jaani" Kumar, of course).
I have learnt that although the subaltern can now speak , it still needs permission before it can reach out for a maroon dressing gown .

Of course gender complicates my hypothesis about  being this fair before being seen taking a bath on  TV .  For Rekha and Deepika Padukone can play with the suds with no one complaining Haw Hai yeh Kiya Kalyug Agaya.

“Is he famous?” asked the man quite innocently one evening and thus opened a Pandora's Box of  how  white white, ghabroo jawans, can lounge around in tubs without anyone asking So What did You Do to Deserve Getting Into A Tub on Prime Time TV.Somehow gorey gorey log can take a bath anywhere, anytime without having achieved anything in their lives other than a particular shade of skin pigmentation.

And though TV time has been severely rationed for the Toddler, we did wonder whether that restricted time slot too should be  restricted to NatGeo and Discovery alone. This of course brings about its own set of questions, for I know I will only have replaced one kind of skewed reality for another "not quite right" image. Rather than praying  every night that he wakes up all peaches and cream so he too can appear on TV, The Toddler might grow up thinking it is only four-legged flesh eating beasts hurtling through outer space that get to be on TV.

And try as I do, to censor the language of  growing up in this sad mad world of ours where he is concerned, the patios of the world outside does slip in when I am not looking -- the boy already has lapped up certain social cues as to what constitutes as "polite society" . So to my disappointment I found him screaming...but perhaps you need a background to this story first. So let me start afresh. 


It was my birthday on the 4th and befitting the day the mother slipped in a Ben Franklin or two. I  did know that I was going to  put the money to good use shopping for metal handicrafts in a town we were planning to visit later in the week. The town is Savar--home to Dhamrai and the interesting art of carving metal figuirines through wax melting. (I am putting up some pictures of the beautiful mansion which has now been converted to a workshop cum sale centre--this is Sukanta's Dhamrai metal crafts).



Chess set, but then you guessed that. Somehow I dont blame the old gentlemen in  Shatranj Ke Khiladi any more for shutting out the outside world if they had something as beautiful to work/play with


Oh the tales all these old receipts/cash memos can tell


The artisan carves into the wax sculpture, later they  will cover it with clay. The mould will be put into the hearth so the wax melts and the crevices will now be filled with molted metal. Later the clay structure broken to reveal the metal sculpture. Or steps to that effect.




This particular gentleman  was responsible for  making all the  curlicues  and baubles that are attached to the larger pieces


These are the smaller figurines comfortable with their "also appearing" credit billing in the larger commissioned pieces


and my little sher flaunts manners and decides to ride the Asian tiger




Dear High Heel Confidential, Further proof that being well dressed comes with many a stress drama
So this is the beautiful Saraswati I bought with my birthday money --long term readers will know by now the significance behind this purchase. I am very fond of it and later in the evening  I shared it with Arhaan hoping it was the start of a beautiful love affair for him as well, and he screams Where Tshirt? Tell her put on Tshirt.
I know it is too soon for him to reach out for the khaki shorts and gainjee but I am worried about the new moral policing in my life.

so this has been my week so far, and you?


3 comments:

  1. Its a conspiracy- but yes, the khakhi chaddi has firmly taken root in your house. It will be a while before he is willing to bury it deep. Until then Saraswati should be clothed. Do show him Husain's line drawings of Saraswati, maybe he could decode the nudity that the loony brigade saw.

    My child has already donned khakhi - but her name defeats her constantly much to her chagrin. The radical element is embedded in her name and she will not shrug that off.( she has no family name-only my first name and her father's first name. So she has the dense 'amar akbar anthony' goodness to deal with since her name is persian! ) Baby steps , i whisper to myself, baby steps.

    Sister, do not lose heart. They will eventually join us in the chorus when we sing , jalaa do, jalaa do yeh duniya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, i came back to look at the chess set and the stress fashion hoarding- needed to know that you had indeed clicked them and it was not something i imagined in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice writing style! Dig the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Your call is important to us. Please remain on the line while a customer care rep gets back to you.